PERIODONTAL (GUM) DISEASE
Periodontal disease, which is characterized by red, swollen, and bleeding gums, is caused by a buildup of plaque and tartar. Periodontal disease affects four out of five people without their knowing it and can lead to other diseases such as stroke, bacterial pneumonia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and increased risk during pregnancy.
BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT
Make your smile stand out. Your smile and health is our top priority. Always!
Check out our resources and links!
To reduce your risk we at the Dr. Steve Johnson Dental Group, recommend good oral hygiene, a balanced diet, and regular dental checkups and cleanings.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PERIODONTAL DISEASE
- Bleeding gums – Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose teeth – Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth – Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath – Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums – Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums – Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums – Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or Discomfort – Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.
HOW TO FIGHT PERIODONTAL DISEASE
What YOU can do at home:
- Brush, floss, and rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash daily to remove plaque.
- Schedule regular check-ups to catch small problems early. See your dental professional at least every 6 months or as recommended for your periodontal health.
What WE can do:
- Professional cleaning such as scaling and root planing to remove harmful tartar that builds above and below the gumline.
- Antibiotic treatment such as Arestin™ or Periowave™ to help kill the bacteria that causes periodontal disease.
- Surgery if the disease has progressed too far.
Contact us today with any questions or concerns you may have, or to book your next appointment!.